Never Assume

by Rose Red
(Auckland, New Zealand)

Something that quite often trips up aspiring artists is when they go to draw something and it doesnt actually look like what they are drawing!! There is one very simple reason for this, they go ahead and draw, and draw, without stopping to see what they object REALLY looks like.


People have all these preconceptions and misconceptions about what things should or should not look like. This is a bad idea in art, because there is never any right or wrong, really look at it, dont think 'Well theres a crease here, so here there must be light, and here shadow' you might be following simple rules, but this is the basics.

Quoting a favoured art teacher of mine "An artist should spend over 80% of their time studying their subject, the other 20% should be spent doing the actual drawing".

Comments for Never Assume

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Great advice
by: Gale

That's the best advice i've heard. Thanks.

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
thanks
by: Fernando

I always love your posts, makes art a little easier. Mexico City

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Thank you!
by: Marian

Thank you for your post, "Never Assume." My college art-major friend tells me this all the time, but I can't be reminded too often.

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Never Assume
by: Joyce

To look with the eye closes the understanding, but to look with the understanding opens the eye.
I guess practice at this will be beneficial, Thanks for your tip. Joyce Auckland, New Zealand

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Never Assume
by: Barbara

How very true.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Drawing Tips.

Like this page?